Monday 28 March 2011

Assignment 205 part I /Photo imaging equipment and materials/

This assignment provides me with opportunity to demonstrate evidence of use of a range of materials supported by the efficient operating of photo imaging equipment.
The written account will be based on unit - 206 Principles of photo image capture and will include fallowing:

  • Reasons and justification for selection of equipment and materials (including relevant research and alternatives);
  • How the equipment and materials were prepared and used;
  • The characteristics of equipment and materials used;
  • The advantages and disadvantages of the equipment and materials used;
  • How equipment was used to capture images (including the method of image capture and operational procedures fallowed)
  • How the equipment and materials were used to convey the required image;
  • Health and safety considerations.

I decided to divide this assignment in two parts to save time afterwords…as I still waiting for right time and whether conditions to move forward with my image capture. So in this first part I want to describe what equipment I will be using- reasons, alternatives, characteristics, advantages and disadvantages and also health and safety considerations.

Last year, when I begin my journey to photography I bought my first ever SLR digital camera, well I would say the cheapest what I can afford that time- Nikon D3000: 


Nikon D3000 is often described as a entry-level camera, however, for me as first-time DSLR buyer I think is not a bad choice.

Nikon D3000 Key Features

  •   10.75 megapixel DX-format CCD sensor (effective pixels: 10.2 million);
can let me capture outstandingly detailed images and produce stunningly sharp enlargements.
  •    3" fixed LCD monitor (230,000 dots);
makes it easy to view essential camera information, and also  to review and edit my shots.
  •      Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake and 'airflow');
Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera’s image sensor for clear, spot-free images.
  •      11 AF points (with 3D tracking);
offers fast auto focus coverage across the frame. Four AF-area modes, including 3D-tracking AF, deliver sharp results, whether your subject is off-center, moving fast or completely unpredictable.
  •      IS0 100-1600 range;
features an Auto ISO setting and is manually extendable up to ISO 3200 using the Hi1 setting. Enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when shooting fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
  •     3 frames per second continuous shooting;
allows  to capture fast-moving action at 3 frames per second.

  •      Picture Controls;
sets the look and mood of images before shoot. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape.
  •       Scene Recognition System;
delivers sharply-defined images by optimizing the camera settings immediately before the shutter is released.
  •      Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening;
I can edit and enhance images in the camera. Offers a range of photo effects including D-Lighting, Filter Effects and a clever Miniature Effect that makes images appear as if they are photos of miniature scale models.
  •      System Expandability;
compatible with a wide range of lenses, renowned for delivering outstanding sharpness, crisp contrast and precise color reproduction.
  •    72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback


List of the different shooting modes that the D3000 offers:

  • Programmed Auto: - camera automatically chooses the optimal shooting settings, both an aperture and shutter speed setting.
  • Shutter-Priority Auto: - allows  to choose your shutter speed while the camera chooses the best aperture for your chosen speed.
  • Aperture-Priority Auto: the opposite of S mode, - choose the aperture,while the camera chooses the shutter speed.
  • Manual: in this mode you have total control over shutter and aperture speed, and the most control over exposure (personally my favorite).
  • Portrait: this mode is for taking model shots, which softens skin tones and helps to blow out the background with a shallower depth of field to give emphasis to your foreground subject.
  • Landscape: -for vivid landscape shots where you want focus throughout the frame, while still providing lush greens and other tones when a beautiful landscape is captured.
  • Child: -for taking snapshots of kids, it soften the tones of skin while giving backgrounds a vivid look.
  • Close Up: -flower macro captures or small objects you want to take a close picture of.
  • Sports: -gives a fast shutter speed and continuous shooting for capture split seconds of action and sports.
  • Night Portrait: - simply for taking portraits of people at night.

Descriptions above is like a small part of everything what my camera offers, it has a lots more interesting and challenging functions, which is helping me every time when I taking my photographs and I am still learning to get to know every one. For that I have to say big thanks to Jeff Revel and J.Denis Thomas who books I bought in order to learn full control over my camera:





After listing owners manual I understand that I not understand anything and I had to find other options - that`s when I came across thees two books, what help me a lot, not only fully understand my camera functions, but get the best of them.


The D3000 is pretty closely related to the D5000, reading some reviews in magazines, books and internet sometimes I think that I probably didn't make the best of choice, - but well now is too late, otherwise it will be just waist of time and money...and how I remember photographers always saying - "... its not the camera but the person using it who makes beautiful photographs..."
The best thing about the D3000 is that Nikon gave it one of the best menu systems yet, everything is made easy to use...the downsides probably as I read that Nikon D3000 slower and balkier operation when compared to other Nikon DSLRs. The camera is as noisy at ISO 800 as the D40 is at ISO 1,600. While the D40 looks great at ISO 1,600 - the D3000 is too grainy at ISO 1,600 for normal use. So I will have to keep the D3000 at ISO 800 or below for the best results. Actually I always intent to keep it on ISO 100 so that could batter me less. About slowest I have to agree...it is a bit slow to produce the images, but I never use any other DSLR so I can live with it for now.
But still anyone who is intend to buy a DSLR camera I would recommend  to take their time - really research the camera systems and see which, will going to serve them for a few decades. Otherwise switching systems can become very expensive after. I read one interesting comment about changing the cameras which said that is like  marriage - "Getting out of one and into another can be very expensive." And that's so true. For now I am in peace with my camera, it became to me as a friend, but in the future I will be definitely looking for some more high quality Nikon DSLR body in order to keep all lenses what I own already.
As I mentioned lenses I had two for now which I am using along with my camera.
  1. Nikon 18-55mm VR lens. (purchased together with camera)
A convenient wide-angle zoom lens with high quality optics for use with Nikon DX Format Digital SLRs. The ample 18-55mm zoom range is equivalent to a 27-82.5mm lens in 35mm format offering maximum versatility to accommodate tight portraits to expansive landscapes....(from Jessops home page).

Although Nikon offers many very high-quality professional lenses, the D3000 kit lenses it not so bad performers ( and once again I had to say, I didn't have a chance to use others). They offer some advantanges, like:
  • Low cost- compere to others;
  • Image quality- Super Integrated Coating on the lens helps to ensure accurate color and reduce lens flare and also is quite sharp for a lens in this price range.
  • Compact size - small in size and super light, ideal for everyday use.
  • Vibration reduction- very handy feature especially when needs to take images in low light conditions. It can allow to handhold a camera at slower shutter speeds.

I use thees lens mainly taking photographs, so I am pleased.


To complete my purchase I also bought (telephoto/macro) Tamron AF 70-300mm lens, which I find now very handy.




Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD is a macro telephoto zoom lense. The lens features 70-300mm at focal length with maximum aperture of F/4.0-5.6. The lens construction has 13 elements in 9 groups and has diagonal angle of view at 34°21′-8°15′. Minimum focus distance at 1.5m (max. magnification ratio 1:4), 0.95m in macro mode (1:2) and has a filter size of 62mm.
The lens itself feels pretty good build quality and for the money, the optics is good too If you are on a budget, as I was, you will not be disappointed with this lens. The lens barrel rotates during focus so using circular-polarising filters can be a little troublesome but this can be overcome by focusing then switching to MF and adjusting your filter.

This lens has good focal length for mid-range nature photography and reasonably fast (f/5.6 at 200-300) sharp under 200mm. 

I am totally happy with this lens- is not the best out there, but you should expect a supreme lens with this price any way! For me it is effective, and good macro feature provides me with nice photos. 

I would recommended to anyone who is a beginner -like me- and want to do some practice on different aspects of photography (macro and telephoto) before moving on to the serious part where you have to pay at least double the amount for only one of the previous features.

Some downsides: At higher ISOs and shutter speeds the image are crisp but at lower speeds the absence of VR is easily noticeable. If you're using a tripod - lens is very workable but unfortunately I can’t comfortably use it for hand held shots.The auto-focus does search quite significantly, but some shots were just not possible to take using it. The macro switch is also a little fiddly so I need to  be careful when using it as it could be damaged. And also for me is a bit too heavy.

I can’t compare it with other, for only reason as I am beginner and never have a chance to using different types of lenses, but after reading some reviews on internet I probably will say it's worth spending a bit more and to go for the Nikkor 55-200 lens instead or even 55-300 lenses which also has VR and it is worth the investment.

Moving forward I need to mention I also own a tripod, without what – any photographer won’t be photographer. Same as with a lens I choose the affordable option and went for a Velbon DF-50 Tripod:


 Specifications
  • Max Load: 3kg
  • Max Height: 152cm
  • Min Height: 58cm
  • Weight: 1.49kg
  • Leg Diameter: 23.2mm
  • Leg Sections: 3
It is medium-sized tripod complete with radially braced legs and a geared centre column which help to provide a stable platform for my equipment. As very handy option it also has an integrated spirit level most helpful for architectural and landscape photography.
It is a good tripod that's light enough to carry around with and it`s very easy to set up. Mainly Velbon DF-50 is great for amateur-learning photographers like me -who want an all-purpose tripod.
Downside for me probably is that mounting screw on the quick release plate is not designed at the best and doesn't hold the camera tight - especially for vertical shoots. But, like we all know- you get what you pay for. If we look at Jessops there are a lot better deals if you can afford it.
  
Also I am possessor of couple of lens filters, but I will write about that in my next post which I want to delegate only to that theme.

So describing as good as I can my main equipment I have to pay some attention to Health and Safety considerations which is taken quite seriously in the creative media industries. 

While photography is fun, photographers need to be aware of the health issues and risks associated with taking pictures.  That includes - maintaining all equipment in good working order, taking adequate breaks, constantly being aware of surroundings on location....you never know...anything can happened when you out and about, especially in unknown place. So take care - so will I.

Conclusion

I was writing this post for two weeks…weather improved very fast from worst to best and now all I have to do is go out there and explore some possibilities for my main themes. I am really looking forward to it. I had some good shoots already and I am very pleased with them, but still is lots and lots to do…I hope with all my basic equipment I will achieve required standards and in the end add some useful photographs to my portfolio.
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristine i am too a Nikon fan having started with a D40x.Your equipment is ideal and i got some awesome shots with mine which i am sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete