Thursday 26 May 2011

Principles of photo imaging output 210 (Theme I)

 I feel Spring...
 
Well...recently I get back my photo book, which was chosen by me for the Theme I - Close ups in Nature...am I satisfied?...Of course not, but I was already prepared for that...I know...years will past till I will find decant Photo lab, who can suit my taste and needs. Anyway what`s done - done...and what I can expect for £20...in the beginning I probably knew that I have to go for more expensive one, but thing was, that my best picture, which is Portrait layout didn't suit it...expensive book- where I can choose more better paper - was in Landscape layout and just because of that I went for standard one. I regret a bit, but I have idea that probably 3 of my best flower images I am going to include my future portfolio so I`ll print them out separately using Print Space Photo lab based in London, which till now is my first choice for quality, the only downside is the price  - as it quite expensive. 


So there it is....I took a picture of it so you will have better idea what I am writing about. Order took a place in Jessops, - consist of 26 pages and cost me, as I sad already £20. Book include fallowing  20 images - exact order how they are inside:



 
 
 


Ten of them are my final. They all look good on computer and probably will on different paper....in my photobook, I am not really happy about many things - colors turned out very bright and a bit unreal, paper is a poor quality and some of prints are very blurry as they was painted. But like I sad - like quality, get ready to pay for it. Anyway....I didn't say is no use at all, for beginning is alright, but you always wish for better - do you? So as me!. 



Setup


All photographs were taken In Burton upon Trent …area where I live. Parks, streets, forests.


Lighting


I work with available daylight….all of them except cherry tree (was afternoon then) are captured in the morning, as this time sun isn't too high and light still is mild.


Lens


Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD - macro telephoto zoom lens. The lens features 70-300mm at focal length with maximum aperture of F/4.0-5.6. Set up in Macro mode.


Camera Settings


Manual Mode – both – the aperture and shutter speed was set by me in order to get complete control over exposure. Image quality was set on  JPEG-Fine.

Accessories


Velbon DF-50 Tripod.




Image Nr 1.


Shutter Speed:   1/320sec
Aperture:           F5.6
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Center weighted Average

Since I bought my camera I cant wait for Spring to came...to get outside and capture most beautiful things on the world - flowers. They come so many amazing shapes and colors, so I never get tired from my subject and enjoy every minute.

Image of thees daffodils was taken 22nd March 2011....that time was all about them....daffodils was everywhere and I have hundreds of pictures so choosing this as my final was quite a challenge.

Other people comments helped .... I thought - if people respond so positively, must be it`s good. Also I was pleased with myself to manege capture one daffodil right of the scene as the sharpest part, leaving rest of them out of focus creating perfect composition with shallow background.

Aperture  was on it`s widest, to let light in more, and shutter speed on highest levels due to the wind. As it was bright sunny day I dint change my ISO, let it stay on 100 in order to get best quality possible. I choose ISO depending of available light level...sunny days or very bright scenes didn't require lover ISO...sometimes I go for 200, but never lower than that.

White Balance as Auto was selected by me as a insurance....I lots of times gone for a wrong WB setting, what cost me  image quality. Probably most of you think that's so easy...if sunny I`ll go for Daylight setting, if it`s overcast I choose Shade or Cloudy....but sometimes you can actually choose WB that does not quite fit the light for the scene that you are shooting. So I didn't want to take that risk and choose Auto to make sure colors will turn out as I wanted to.
 
Meter setting - Center-Weighted - was the best option for me as it`s mode looks at the entire frame but emphasizes only the center of it. In my case....right side, because I placed main focus that way.

This is the only picture what I post processing afterwords. Originally image was with some bugs, which quite distract me and I didn't like it.

original

I had to improve it on Photo Shop. First  I zoom the image, to get better picture what I have to do. Second - small imperfections  was easily removed whit help of Photo Shop Editing tools.








It`s didn't take long and as result I get my perfect daffodils without any bugs. I am not fan of Photo Shop as I think you have to make sure you capture scene the right way so you don't need to correct your mistakes. Anyway...as long as its not often sometimes you just have to do it.

Image Nr 2.



Shutter Speed:   1/160sec
Aperture:           F13
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Spot

That image was taken the same day as a first one...I was on my way home from park where I spend all morning chasing better pictures of daffodils. I saw this tree and couldn't resist, I wish I`ll know how its called.

Bright blue and yellow in this case works so well that I put this image on the final list back then already even if its not the best one I like it, because is very simple and colorful.

Even if I choose the Spot meter mode (I cant remember why) aperture set on average was doing good job getting everything in focus and shutter speed helped to deal with wind.

White Balance and ISO hasn't been change for a reasons I explained above. Image is on its original quality, no any post processing wasn't done.

Image Nr 3.


Shutter Speed:   1/500sec
Aperture:           F9
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Center weighted Average

One of my favorites....was taken 29th March, near place where I live. I came there to took pictures of magnolia tree, when I saw opposite side of the road other blooming trees. Although the camera was set to F 9, the background was still out of focus, exactly how I liked. During a strong wind - as usual- I had to set shutter speed on highest option.

That time up to date it was my best picture (well for me anyway) and I knew it` have to go for the final. Small plum tree flower turned out so beautifully, bright, sharp, crisp image....don't need change anything, captured the right way as it `s should be. Probably one of my portfolio to be photographs. Shame that in my Photo book is not look at its best, but I`ll will print out it separately to make sure that image gets the best quality possible.

Image Nr 4.


Shutter Speed:   1/200sec
Aperture:           F10
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Center weighted Average

Also one of my favorites, maybe not such as the above one, but still....I always was very keen to put some nice background for my computer desktop...I remember my chose always was flowers .... and now I don't need to search Internet for that,  this Spring I captured too many that I wont be running out for the backgrounds any time soon.

This photograph of pear tree was inspired from similar backgrounds what I use to look for. Sun was on my right side creating nice shadows all over the branch lifting out flower petals.... blue sky nicely took over the shallow deep of the field. Same as before I didn't think about changing anything....probably  I made small mistake to not capture that blossom branch right of the middle of the scene, but well I don't think that cropping now is such a good idea.

Image Nr 5.




Shutter Speed:   1/500sec
Aperture:           F9
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Center weighted Average


I lied before, when I said that daffodils was only picture which was post processed, this too...I completely forget about it. I crop this one, as originally some branches was sticking out from one corner and I wanted to get rid of them.
 
This image is very dear to me as its looks like some small piece of art.... Photograph of wild cherry tree blossom was taken the same day as my favorite above....and in the same location-

so both images drinks the same light, what that particular morning was the bestest.


Light is the most important aspect of any photograph as it defines the way we perceive the subject. The word photography literally means "drawing with light" and it is really light and the way it behaves when it falls on objects that is our true subject.

That morning light was so clear, I took a lots of photographs, but this specially managed to capture all beauty of that morning. Using high shutter speed I didn't let image blur as result of strong wind. Complete shallow background an sharp object in the middle in my opinion looks perfect.

Image Nr 6.


Shutter Speed:   1/160sec 
Aperture:           F5.6 
ISO:                  200 
Lens Length:      300mm 
White Balance:   Auto 
Meter Setting:    Matrix
           

Another pretty perfect image...maybe I am so full of my self, but I really think so. I took this picture one April afternoon....as I didn't have time to do so in the morning...but that's OK, because sun was starting to make its way to evening, so wasn't so high and did not spread such bright light as it happened in the middle of the day....

I love thous trees, I have to say they are my favorites...country where I from I didn't have them....since I came to England I was taking pictures of them every year.

The ISO this time was lower, I set it on 200, because I took my pictures under the tree an shadows make all appear a bit dark. So I decided lower my ISO and choose wide aperture setting in order, get as much light possible and make image work. I am very pleased with results. Also I change the meter setting, from my usual to Matrix, capturing entire frame instead of just centre.

In my photo book this image is the worst, completely ruined, lost is light and crisp feelling....shame...

Image Nr 7.


Shutter Speed:   1/30sec 
Aperture:           F5.6 
ISO:                  100 
Lens Length:      300mm 
White Balance:   Auto 
Meter Setting:    Spot

I call this image " Love story"...its`s not my best one and I just recently include it on my final list....long time I can decide, but finally gone for that one....Image of pink buds was taken in cloudy day, so I get natural defused light. I used a Spot meter setting focusing on centre of the scene, and as result of wide aperture background became narrow and blurry creating nice pastel tones. 

I like using wide aperture settings ...specially in close ups...that gives me shallow depth of the field, while I focusing on certain subject in the image - rest is falling out of focus.

I didn't change the ISO or White Balance, as I said before, to avoid disappointments afterwords. Even it wasn't sunny day I can afford to do so by slowing down my shutter speed. 

Shutter speed is the amount of time that light entering from the lens is allowed to expose the image sensor and obviously, if the shutter is open longer, more light can reach the sensor. Day was calm, without wind, and I use this as advantage, instead of lowering my ISO or changing WB.

Image Nr 8.


Shutter Speed:   1/100sec 
Aperture:           F5.6 
ISO:                  100 
Lens Length:      300mm 
White Balance:   Auto 
Meter Setting:    Spot

Photograph of this simple beautiful apple tree branch was taken early hours in the morning, when sun just started its journey around the sky....therefore giving me perfect soft light.Transparent leafs look at its best. 

Every picture tells some kind of story...when I look at that one, I feel that morning`s peace and tranquility, when nature rises up from a cool night....

As usually using wide aperture I make background shallow, placing focus on the middle of the scene. I don't remember why I choose Spot meter setting, I can go for Centre weighted Average, but anyway, I am happy with result.

I didn't do any post processing on this image...I had thought to crop it, but then I change my mind as you know - with every crop image uses it`s quality and I can afford that.

Image Nr 9.




Shutter Speed:   1/125sec
Aperture:           F9
ISO:                   100
Lens Length:      300mm
White Balance:   Auto
Meter Setting:    Center weighted Average

Once again one of my favorites...focus placed similar as daffodils above...to one side creating nice passage from close focus to blur infinity...


In order create a real morning feel I sprayed the flowers with water creating artificial dew, witch really worked well. I had a go before with different types of flowers but no ones turn out so nicely like thees ones.


As thees are ground flowers and growing very low, I had to make my tripod as small possible to manage capture scene from right angle.

Image is a bit overexposed, but that's was done on purpose. Balancing exposure in the scenes that have a wide contrast in tonal range, like this one, violet and green- can be extremely challenging, but I do it anyway....I never take only one picture of the subject..I take various, with different aperture and shutter speed settings to make sure I get even one image that satisfied`s my taste.


Image Nr 10.


Shutter Speed:   1/125sec 
Aperture:           F5.6 
ISO:                  100 
Lens Length:      300mm 
White Balance:   Auto 
Meter Setting:    Matrix
           
Up to date this is my favourite and best photograph. I remember how I wanted to see a Bluebell forest that time, but always something come up, so I had no chance to get there. One day I was out and about in my local Outwood forest when I saw a lonely bluebell flower in the middle of the grass. I couldn’t resist to take a picture...first as landscape layout and then placing my camera vertically as a Portrait...

I had no intention to put this image into my final list, but when I get home and took a closer look I fell in love straight away.

Aperture, Shutter speed, all other settings was left from previous shoots, as I was already leaving woods I just passing by, and took a quick shot....I never thought that it will turn out so nicely...it was truly my luck. The aperture setting probably let me keep the focus on the front of the flower while providing a softer, slightly blurry background, which give a sense of depth to the image.

This image was the main reason why I choose exact photo book and not gone for a different one, as it won’t fit as the only vertical photograph on landscape layout. Maybe is a bit silly to sacrifice other images just for this one, but that time it was my only option...to put it in a standard book, or leave it out presenting other images instead.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So they are...my final 10 images....it was a great pleasure to capture each of them and also too many what is left out. Choose exact these for final was quite a challenge...some of them I already put on that list, but rest took me three days to decide. I already told to my friends...`that is so hard...I can easily choose one...I can easily choose three...I can even choose 20, but downsizing for exactly ten wasn’t easy...`

Spring is probably the highest season for close up photography...suddenly you find yourself surrounded by the sight of flowers and blossoming trees. Even if i didn’t choose the right presentation method...I know I definitely choose the right theme...  

2 comments:

  1. I love these flower images, numbers 5,6, 7,8, in particular and of course image number 10 is stunning and truly looks professional. I think your idea of the photo book entitled 'I feel spring' lovely and has given me ideas for my flowers. Brilliant work yours is.

    ReplyDelete